Sarah Parmenter

Gifts for Geeks 2010

I thought I’d give everyone a bit of a helping hand and point you in the right direction (or the right direction to point friends and family to) for Geeky Christmas presents of 2010. Some of them have Cyber Monday deals and some have only one available, especially those listed on Etsy, so be sure to act fast if you find something you fancy.

NOTE: There’s no affiliate links, I’m not making any money from any of the gifts listed below, it’s just stuff I like that I’ve found over the weekend and collated just for you.

So here goes…

UpStand, Iconic Aluminium iPad Stand

£50/$80
Beautifully designed sturdy iPad stand, finished in rubber to hold it firmly in place. Also compatible with most iPad cases too.

Browser Sketch Pad

$12.95
Link to a site selling a similar thing but in the UK (save on postage)
Sketch website and UI ideas to your hearts content, also available as iPhone and iPad versions.
Browser Pad

ONLY 3 LEFT – Pixel Christmas Cards

Also try their Pixel Gift Tags.
Geek Christmas Notecards

8Faces Magazine – Great stocking filler!

£8
For anyone interested in Typography or just generally enjoys reading about some of the best font designers in the world, this magazine would make a great stocking filler and dispatched in time for Christmas.
8 Faces Magazine

Daily Drop Cap Letterpress Wall Print

$225
Know someone who loves Typography? With only 75 in existence, this limited edition letterpress print would be a great addition to any budding typographers office wall.
Daily Drop Cap Print

Wooden ‘Think’ sign

£30/$46
I purchased a ‘Geek’ one of these the other day and featured it on my blog. I believe myself and another fellow Twitterer got the last of the geek ones, but may be worth asking if this is the word you would prefer? They’ve got tons of other great stuff in their Etsy shop and 15% off until Cyber Monday.
Think Wooden Sign

Hardboiled Web Design

£32.00
Mum’s, Dad’s, listen up. If you think your son/daughter “tinkers” around on the internet all day – just buy this book, it’s going down in history as a “must have” for the bookshelf.
Hardboiled Web Design

BookBook Macbook Case

$79.99-$99.99
A hardback original looking leather case to carry your Macbook Pro around in.
Hardback Leather Case for Macbook Pro

Farmville Cake Toppers

£8/$11
Know someone who loves Farmville? Let’s face it, we all do. Treat them to some Farmville Cake Toppers on Christmas Day and maybe they will finally stop trying to send you a bale of hay and a stray cow.
Farmville Cake Toppers

Day Ruining Notepads

$25.00
Know someone who likes to moan about what trouble their clients have caused them today? Order up some of Jessica Hische’s fabulous (letterpress cover) Day Ruining Notepads.
Day Ruining Notepads

Geek Pillows

From £13
For the soft-furnishing of your office, this shop has geek pillows to suit every taste.
Geek Pillows

Facebook ‘Like’ Necklace

$49.00 For the Facebook addict in your family.
Facebook Like Necklace

Wooden Laptop Case

At just over £200/$320 it’s expensive, but it’s beautiful, enough said.
Wooden Laptop Case

iPhone & iPad Movie Peg – Great Stocking Filler

from £4.99 – 20% ends Monday 29th November
Brendan gave me one of these at FOWD London this year and it’s absolutely brilliant for watching films on the go, anywhere that has those tiny fold out tray tables this little gadget really comes into its own, allowing you to sit back and comfortably watch anything you like.
Movie Peg

Moo Mosaic Frame

£16.99
Position your MiniMoo Cards to make the perfect arrangement, portrait or landscape.
Moo Mosaic Frame

Limited Edition Pac-Man Moleskines

£24.95 – use the code GEEKUP for 10% off too
Each notebook cover is printed with pixelated imagery depicting the game that includes Pac-Man, ghost characters, fruit imagery. It also contains some mini-stickers featuring icons from the game. All contained neatly in the hard card box sleeve.
Pacman Moleskines

A Book Apart – CSS3 For Web Designers

$18 (Paperback)
You can’t go wrong with any of the books in this series actually, HTML5 For Web Designers is also an excellent choice. Great stocking filler for the geek in your life.
A Book Apart

Hard Graft Laptop Bag

$389
Absolutely stunning italian made laptop bag from the people at Hard Graft.
HardGraft Bag

24 Ways Annual 2010 – Note: Delivered after Christmas

£8/$12
24 ways is the advent calendar for web geeks. Each day throughout December a daily dose of web design and development goodness is published to bring a little Christmas cheer with all proceeds going to Unicef.
24Ways

2011 Time Travellers Calendar – Great Stocking Filler!

$20
This calendar takes 95 time travel occurrences and places them on a single timeline. Watch thousands of years of time travel take place over the course of 12 months!
Calendar

Nabaztag Rabbit

£54
I desperately want one of these cute little guys – set it up for all sorts of fun and explained far better on their website.
Nabaztag

If there’s anything else you feel should be featured here, please post it in the comments and I’ll add if appropriate!

This article was posted in Work Life. Bookmark the permalink. Follow comments with the RSS feed for this post.Post a Comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

29 Comments

1. Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Great ideas in there, got to get me one of those browser pads. Christmas cards are pretty cool too. 8 faces is already on the way!

2. Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Great gifts/products, I want them all.. ( apart from the necklaces :) )

3. Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

I like the gifts… i want to purchase it all.

4. Posted November 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I love this list! I wonder if the guy who makes the “geek” sign would consider doing one that says “web”.

5. NeztraDesign
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Christmas Cards are sold out… darn. I want that typography poster, but $225 per print??

6. Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Cool list – the iPad stand is wonderful!

If you’re looking to buy a wireframe pad from a UK distributor, we sell something very similar at Digital Results!

7. Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Hi Sarah,

All of your gifts for geeks ideas are awesome, my favourite is the Pixel Christmas Cards, pitty they are sold out!

I don’t know if you’ve seen this from moo.com, but I think it’s well cool! http://uk.moo.com/accessories/minicard-frame.html

and here’s hoping The Force of Typography posters are available before Christmas as well! http://www.h-57.com/

• Sarah
      Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Have just sent a message to the Etsy seller saying they are proving popular and does he have anymore. Will let you know! Thanks for the other suggestions. Adding some now.

8. Paul
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Huge respect for posting a list of things that are actually cool and interesting and not just another list of affiliate links :)

9. Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Great post. Got to get me one of those iPhone trays. Been looking for something like that.

Just ordered a couple of Wireframe pads from digital-results, as they were in the UK. Didn’t know these things existed.

Thanks!

10. Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Hello there and thank you for featuring our think sign from our Etsy shop! We really appreciate it. We also have geek and nerd… we are trying to keep up with sales…if you don’t see your item listed, drop us a line and we’re happy to accommodate or re-list for you.
    Thanks!

• Sarah
      Posted November 29, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

As long as you get mine out first, I don’t mind ;)

11. Josh
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Great list of items! The “Like” necklace sold out though which sucks. Would love to got that for my lady.

12. Posted November 30, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

My wish-list is full now :D
    Thank you for your blog post.

13. Dorijan
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Permalink
    • Sarah
      Posted December 2, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks, I’ve featured the time traveller calendar from that list.

14. Posted December 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Although there is no need to reaffirm my position as an uber-geek, the pillows are going on my gift list at http://gift.ly :P

15. Daniel Blundell
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Great post Sarah, its nice to see someone’s written my Christmas list for me this year!

16. Nick
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Great list Sarah, loving the Nabaztags.

17. Posted December 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Mother bear dropped Hardboiled and the ‘A Book Apart’ bundle in the email to me today.

looking forward to digging in.

18. Posted December 15, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

The iPad stand is nice. I would have bought the BookBook case, except it says on the website that you shouldn’t use it for white MacBooks. Kinda makes me wonder what the interior is made of.

19. Posted December 17, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Gave me an absolutely awesome idea for a christmas gift for my wife. Owe you big style.

20. MJ
    Posted December 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Nabaztag is cute! I have one myself unfortunately the company has gone bankrupt so there are no updates on it :(

21. Posted January 5, 2011 at 1:32 am | Permalink

A great list of gifts! I love the christams cards!

Unfortunately I didn’t get a single one for christmas.
    I guess there is always next year though :-)

22. Posted January 17, 2011 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Stumbled upon this list well after Christmas, but definitely great ideas for birthdays, too. My favorites are the Geek sign (which they’ve restocked :) ) and the Geek Pillows, which remind me of MySuiteStuff pillows.

23. Posted April 20, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Tat is one megalist you’ve got there and so many things I want to buy myself! Just need to find the extra cash! ;)

24. Posted November 23, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

I’m a web developer and I love a lot of these gifts especially the iPhone compatible stuff. I’m a Mac guy in most cases, but I’m stuck on a PC at the time. I have some other developer friends and have been searching for some good Christmas gift ideas. If you guys want some more ideas check out: http://www.listinglists.com/blog/2013/11/23/gift-ideas-for-web-developers-and-designers/
    Happy coding!

One Trackback

1. [...] put together a decent list of geeky Christmas (particularly for designer geeks and Apple geeks) : http://www.sazzy.co.uk/2010/11/gifts-for-geeks-2010/.  My favourite has to be the “Day Ruining Notepads” [...]